Wednesday, June 30, 2010

An Ode To My Abode....

Yeah! I have conceded/ acquiesced/ whatever to the requests and comments made by the avid readers (who by the way number less than the atomic number of beryllium) and will try and write about something which is actually good.

Its very natural for a person to get adjusted to a place when he/ she has lived there for a considerable time. It is a law of nature. If animals and plants can do it..we are humans after all. But what if you fall in love with a place the very first day you enter it and that love only keeps increasing? Its one of those satisfying relationships where you discover a new facet of your partner with each passing day and you also love each of the ones which have been bared in front of you.

This is a place which was ideal for me when I was missing my college. Lots of greenery around, well laid roads, everything within reach and most importantly the weather here is awesome. Its always cool at nights, so cool that in the month of May, I actually had to use my sheets to keep myself warm!!

There is a school nearby which was founded by the earlier management of the company where the children of the employees can study. It is undescribable, the feeling that you get when you are leaving for work and the children come dressed in colourful attire for their annual sports day, when their parents come to collect the report cards or the everyday thing of parents coming to the school to drop or pick up their kids.

There is also a small scale industry here where the wives of the employees can work and become independent. They make all kinds of stuff here…pickles, masalas, papads and even make small relay systems that are used in our products!! But the silent winner of all is the chapati centre, where women make an average of 2.5 lakh chapatis per day which go the canteens of our company as well as 15 others around here. Now that my friend is called CSR. And all of this was started before CSR became a cool word for companies to throw about.

About 20 minutes walk from here is the famed lake house. It is said that you can actually see peacocks here in this season if you are awake at around 4 am. The beauty of the lake house can be summed up in a single fact. Every year, thousands of migratory birds come here to pune and most of them settle at the lakehouse. It has been claimed that the birds haven’t left this place in the last 3 years because of the weather and the continual feeding that the horticultural department ensures (yes people, there is a horticultural department!!).

The room where I live in is a nice cozy little one on the first floor of a building which is located bang in the middle (geographically) of this place. But inspite of living here close to 2 years I cannot claim to have seen everything here. There are still nooks and crannies of this place where ive never been to..sometimes due to shear fear and most times because I was just doing my routine. Almost reminds me of the lines “What is this life full of care…no time to stand and stare….” Written by a poet whose name I cannot recall now.

But one thing which has grown over the time is my love for this place. Now, its almost like I have become this Telco Colony!!

PS- I know I should have uploaded some pics…but I guess if you want to see something badly..you are never ever satisfied by just the photographs!!

1 comment:

Yash said...

How the hell could u forget Emperial Garden - the shady lovely place for booze n food at cheap rates :D