Thursday, September 17, 2009

Opposites Attract

I had been thinking of writing this piece for so long...i guess from the time i heard first about love. But here I am sitting in front of my PC as blank as I was 10 years ago.....

For some strange reason....I don’t know where to begin or even how to begin. My guess is that most people who do fall in love (at least they think they do) cannot write much about it...not because they cant write down their thoughts but because they don’t know how to think.
Two movies I saw recently got me started to think about this subject....one was ‘Love Aaj Kal’ and the other is ‘The Reader’. Some of the events in my life have also acted as a trigger for me to write about this topic.

I know of a guy and his girlfriend who say ‘I love you’ to each other many times a day. But do they really mean it when they say it? Atleast the guy doesn’t. I haven’t met the girl so I cannot comment much about her. The guy is an independant, practical and ‘I wanna be free’ kind of guy. The girl I hear is from a conservative family, never goes out of the house after dark unless accompanied by her family, is probably allergic to half the things in the world and likes to be taken care of just like a baby. I sit down and think sometimes...how did these people actually fall for each other in the first place...then i’m reminded of that old cliché ‘ Opposites Attract’. But do they? Actually?

Some of the more successful relationships I know of...have the guy and the girl on an equal footing. They have lots in common. Both of them might be working in the IT sector, both might be from the same college, both may have the same outlook towards life....but on some level there is a common ground on which the relationship is built. But if there is nothing common to write home about? Does that relationship succeed? Lets call the guy and the gal in the previous para Mr. X and Ms. Y respectively. X and Y infact do have some common ground. But Mr. X is unwilling to acknowledge the same. He doesn’t care much about the ground and so he doesn’t care much about the relationship. But both end up saying ‘I love you’ to each other.

What is the basis of such a relationship I ask him and he dismisses it with his usual flourish..and then I am back to square one....back to where I started..back to the definition of love.
In the books ‘The Fountainhead’ and ‘Atlas Shrugged’ Ayn Rand talks about love in a most unusual way. She thinks love is not compromise. No relationship should cause one to compromise his basic nature. His ultimate goals. His life. But we have seen countless relationships off and on screen which have had to compromise in order to continue. Obviously, Ms. Rand’s Ideas fail in the practical world? But I would again like to raise the question....how far will you go to save a relationship?

More on this later...
Ekhun aami berocchi...
Abar ekhane aashbo....

1 comment:

Dagny said...

Ms.Rand's ideas fail in the pratical world? the question mark was aptly put.. again, a very honest illustration.. a relationship can go thru its peaks and troughs, but if it fails, no point saving it. what needs to be acknowledged is exactly when it is going thru a lean path and when it is failing